Quickly take control of your debt collection problems
Our debt collection litigation attorneys stop debt collection harassment, lies, and abuse and make the debt collectors pay you, or you pay us nothing.
Debt Collection Litigation Client Success Stories
Settlement of over $600,000.00 for illegal collection of medical debts
Worker’s compensation medical debts are not the responsibility of the injured employee. When two debt collectors came after our client for those debts we made them pay her over $600,000.00 in damages.
To our knowledge this is the highest Fair Debt Collection Practices Act damages award or settlement ever obtained in Utah!
Identity theft victim settlement of over $165,000.00
Two debt collectors and a creditor paid our client a total of over $165,000.00 for knowingly continuing to collect identity theft debts illegally.
Settlement of over $65,000.00 for collecting old debts outside the statute of limitations
The collection agency had to forgive a tremendous amount of debt and pay our client’s legal fees for trying to apply payments to revive expired statutes of limitations on old debt.
Unlawful wage garnishments result in $151,000.00 FDCPA settlement
A debt collection attorney garnished our client’s wages even after the attorney knew our client was a victim of mistaken identity. That choice resulted in a judgment and eventual settlement against him for $151,000.00.
What is prohibited by the FDCPA?
Debt collectors may contact third parties to find you, but only once.
Debt collectors generally may not communicate with you;
- at any inconvenient time or place,
- before 8:00 a.m. or 9 p.m. without your authorization,
- if they know you are represented by an attorney,
- at your work if they know you cannot receive collection calls at work, or
- after you notify them in writing that you refuse to pay the debt or tell them to stop contacting you.
- Making threats of arrest, imprisonment, violence, or to press criminal charges against you.
- Using obscene, profane, offensive, or racist language.
- Continually ringing your phone or engaging you in conversation with the intent to annoy, abuse, or harass you
- falsely representing the character, nature, or legal status of a debt,
- falsely pretending to be an attorney, court, law enforcement officer, or government official,
- threatening to imprison you for failing to pay the debt,
- threatening to sue you or take your property or wages to pay a debt if it is not lawful to do so and the debt collector does not intend to carry out its threats,
- falsely representing that because the debt was sold, transferred, or assigned you lost your legal defenses or became subject to harassing or abusive conduct,
- falsely accusing you of committing a crime such as check fraud or identity theft to collect the debt,
- reporting the debt falsely in your credit reports or to others,
- using a name to collect the debt other than their own actual legal name.
- Collecting any amount not authorized by the contract or permitted by law
- Seizing property without legal justification
- Depositing postdated checks early
- Communicating with debtors by postcard
- Using a name on envelopes other than their true name
- Using their true name on an envelope if it reveals they are collecting a debt
- Failure to provide notice of the amount of the debt and name of the original creditor within 5 days of the first communication.
- Failure to provide notice that the consumer has a right to request verification of the debt.
- Failure to provide verification of the debt within thirty days when requested in writing.
Be our next success story!
You don’t have to be a victim of abusive, unlawful, or undignified collections. As a true debt collection litigation law firm we solve your debt collection and identity theft problems quickly. Contact us now for FREE to see how we can help.
“Mr. Stephenson was always great at keeping us informed regarding the next steps and what options we have. He really knows the law and his specialty, he even had to explain the law to the attorneys on the other side.”Mark
Eric was such a pleasure to work with. Highly recommend!
“Eric, was amazing to work with. He guided me step by step and provided exceptional service. Always was there to answer any questions I had and replied quickly.”
“This was my first time needing a lawyer and I got to admit this was such a good experience.”Cristian
Won my case quickly and without a trial.
“Mr. Stephenson helped me successfully sue a telemarketing company who had been harassing me. He was able to secure $10,000 from them in an out of court settlement.”Michael